Thursday 12 July 2007

Handbag – Aid

Retail therapy was long overdue.
Yesterday was so unbearable in the office, all different projects from all the departments, nothing urgent, no, no, just to be done in the next five minutes, would it be okay – kind of stuff, so when I finally left instead of going home I headed straight in opposite direction – city centre. I knew I need a new handbag, I haven’t bought one in ages, like 4 months or maybe even longer. [I know, I know, shame on me].
First, I made quickly A NEW HANDBAG CHECKLISt:
  • TYPE/OCCASION: Summer Handbag = should go nicely with light dresses and linen
  • But because I am in England it means it is raining – so it needed to be kind of waterproof as well (glazed?)
  • MATERIAL: It should go with my new wardrobe – summer amended for UK, meaning it is warm as well as it is hot – linen, cotton, silk; so maybe some soft leather, but not the suede (see 1a)
  • COLOUR: fresh, summery, light
  • SIZE: small to medium
  • MATCHING ABILITY: something neutral, so it could go with anything. I have got too many ‘one outfit’ handbags already, I am not making this mistake again.
  • Well, maybe not that often
  • I must admit, sometimes I am buying clothes to match my new shoes or handbag because it is so much easier to find a top than decent shoes
  • IT! FACTOR: well, I know it when I see it.
  • Budget – well, not much really, I need a bag for one season,


It was easy to predict that the list would go to bin the moment I went to the first shop [second one, actually] and seen this too expensive, too bright, so fabulous lime green Dericci handbag. She was so distinctive and royal and kick-ass that all the other bags were hiding in the corner of the bottom shelf. All the usual fireworks kicked in – pointing neon arrows, heavenly music and the hand of Fate dragging me to it.
I was resisting at first. After all, I wanted cheap handbag – 30 £ or so. But I grabbed it – as I was unable to walk away without it – and start wondering around this shop to see other things and after some time I admit the defeat – SHE put her claws in me and started innocently to look so familiar like we've been together for ages. The size perfect for a lip gloss, mobile, chocolates, credit cards and even small book. Works for me. I handed my card quickly, put some numbers in, tried not to look at the amount and took HER home. It is a beginning of the fabulous friendship, it’s got every sign to it.

ps. picture arriving as soon as I'll find my 'mobile to laptop'cable

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, you are from the U.K. I'm from Canada. Nice to know you from across the pond.

Thanks for showing that there is some sort of logic or checklist that women use when buying stuff.. as I could never tell from my ex. (she was the impulsive shopping type that would buy at random it seems - a GREEN gucci handbag as I recall.)

Nadia said...

Well, it is because there is a difference when you shop because you need a handbag in contrary to shopping because you need it :)

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks